The purpose of peepthis is to:
- provide useful, community-oriented tools for those who are always looking for new art and entertainment to enjoy (no matter how strange or obscure)
- provide an honest and transparent social platform that always respects its users and that is free from corporate meddling
Why use peepthis when existing streaming and content delivery services already provide recommendations?
Because these services:
- have a financial interest in funneling you towards media that is the most profitable (e.g. their own original content) rather than the media that you're most likely to enjoy
- have gaps in their libraries for media that they can't or don't want to license
- actively discourage honest critique and discussion that may hurt profitability
peepthis is a passion project and there is no desire to compromise it by:
- attempting to become the next big fatally ambitious startup funded by an investor pyramid scheme
- ‘driving user engagement’ on behalf of sleazy corporate sponsorships
- selling user data wholesale to the highest bidding shadowy data analytics firm
- plastering ugly and intrusive ads and trackers everywhere
We maintain our own database and we don't rely on third party services so that we won't need to compromise on our mission.
While we may not have a comprehensive list of titles, we strive for quality over quantity in our recommendations and discussion.
If you'd like to help out, then take a few minutes to search your favorite title and write a review, post a discussion, or add it to the database if it's missing.
About the creator
This web app was created by
cool dog any time
I'm a hobby developer and I love great films, music, games, and books. I built and maintain this web app in my free time (in addition to my full-time job in an unrelated field).
This web app is powered by Vue and Django. For more info on how the app was developed, or if you are interested in supporting development, then feel free to send me a message or join the Discord server.
There are no plans to make the codebase open source at this time.